Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Don’t Worry, I’m Still Here!

I warned you that my life was about to fill up with school - and, boy, did it.  After frantically researching and writing many essays (about one a week), the idea of sitting down to write another blogpost just felt like extra homework.  But here I am!  There really is not too much to tell.  I haven’t gone anywhere new since I got back from our Easter Break extravaganza - too much schoolwork.  Plus, I wanted to save the last of my funds for when my boyfriend Chris arrived - which is in about... an hour!


Over the past couple weeks I’ve managed to fit a few things into my essay-laden schedule, mostly great times spent with good friends.  I can’t believe that in just over three weeks we all will be returning to our homes, far and wide, maybe to never see each other again.  We’ve all made promises to keep in touch and to visit when we can, and I sincerely hope we do.  The people I’ve met here, especially my flatmates, have been one of the things that gets me through when I go on one of my homesickness binges or when I’m feeling way too overwhelmed by Otago’s demands.  Though I will return to my wonderful family and friends waiting at home, I will definitely leave little pieces of me with the great people I’ve met here.  The experiences I’ve shared with them are irreplaceable... and will most likely feel like dreams after I’ve been home for more than a couple weeks.  Our study abroad programs have begun to warn us about the effects reverse culture shock upon returning home, and they’ve recommended that the best coping strategy is to keep contact with those we’ve met here.  I believed them when they said it before I left, but now I can see just how essential that contact is going to be.


But anywayyyy - I still have 23ish days here in New Zealand!  It’s not time to get too sappy just yet.  Since I still have some things to do before Chris arrives (like, study for the two-hour final I have tonight - eeek!), I will leave you with a few quick pictures and links that will hopefully entertain you until I find time to post again.


My flatmate Elizabeth and I attended Otago’s capping show a few weeks ago.  It was a three-hour long comedy show intended to offend, and while it did, it was completely worth the laughs.  Here’s a link to the show’s annual Selwyn College Ballet, a dance put on by the boys from the Selwyn dorm.  This video is from 2009 because 2011’s wasn’t great quality...  Spoiler: the boys’ outfits are a litttttle revealing.  And please excuse the commentary.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo5NiuU7qw


Elizabeth and I have also been putting together a songlist for NZ memories.  Here are some of my favorites...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDidEchiNI - A NZ band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPK_5tkRN4 - A NZ artist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK42LZqO0wA - Not a NZ band, but one of our favorite dancing songs


[My spot in the library.  It’s starting to feel like a second flat.]

[Elizabeth and I’s ‘duck faces.’  It’s a long story...]

[The exotic/gourmet aisle at one of our grocery stores.  Look - Hershey chocolate bars and Reese’s peanut butter cups!!]

[And when all else fails, at least I have my stray cats on the back patio.]

And that’s it for now!  Chris will be here in about twenty minutes (I hope), so I must run to make him breakfast.  I will do my best to check in before finals and update you on the many adventures we have planned for the next two weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment